Unable to create the partition. Too big?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Thu Nov 18 14:02:20 PST 2004

On 11/18/04 03:46 PM, Nathan Kinkade sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 10:28:26PM +0100, David E. Meier wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am trying to custom partition my 73GB SCSI hard drive using 5.3. When I
> > first create the partions using the Auto Default option I get the
> > following table:
> >
> > amrd0s1a  /        256MB  UFS2   Y
> > amrd0s1b  swap    2022MB  SWAP
> > amrd0s1d  /tmp     256MB  UFS2+S Y
> > amrd0s1e  /var     256MB  UFS2+S Y
> > amrd0s1g  /usr   67085MB  UFS2+S Y
> >
> > OK, so far so good but I want bigger /, /tmp and /var partitions. So I
> > deleted them and recreated them to the following:
> >
> > amrd0s1b  swap    2022MB  SWAP
> > amrd0s1a  /        512MB  UFS2   Y
> > amrd0s1d  /tmp     512MB  UFS2+S Y
> > amrd0s1e  /var    1024MB  UFS2+S Y
> >
> > Now, I just cannot create the /usr partition. If fails with: "Unable to
> > create the partition. Too big?" Although the top line tells me there is
> > 65805MB left which is less than the auto created partition...
> >
> > Bug or am I missing here something? Thanks. Dave
>
> This isn't an answer to your question, but I have witnessed this
> behvior in the past, probably as far back 4.8.  The only way I was ever
> able to get around it was to manually partition the whole thing.
> Modifying the auto-created partitions never seemed to work, and I got
> the same errors as you.  Fortunately, it's fairly easy to designate 5 or
> 6 partitions manually.  I don't know, but I would suspect that this is
> some type of bug or limitation in the program.  I hope somebody else has
> a better answer.
>
> Nathan
> --
> PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD8527E49

I came in a little late here, but did you delete and recreate all the
partitions, including the swap?  Try deleting everything, THEN creat
your /, swap, /tmp, /var, and /usr in that order - just use the
remaining space for your /usr/partition and see how big it comes out.
It should be in the 65800MB range.

Also, when you specify the size of a partition like the swap, use the GB
unit (2G).  I don't remember the details of why this might be better,
but I've not had any problems creating partitions in excess of 65G.

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

well-adjusted, adj.:
  The ability to play bridge or golf as if they were games.