Upgrading 5.3-Beta1 to 5.3-RELEASE

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Thu Nov 18 12:31:13 PST 2004

Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> On 18 Nov, 2004, at 12:12, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>

>>> So basically:
>>>
>>>  o  update from cvs
>>>       # cd /usr/src
>>>       # make update
>>>  o  build world/kernel in your normal or single-user mode
>>>       # cd /usr/obj
>>>       # rm -rf *
>>>       # cd /usr/src
>>>       # make buildworld
>>>       # make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
>>>
>> Adam!
>>
>> Sorry to bother you again, but I got as for as make buildworld, after
>> which I typed "make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL"
>> and I got:
>>
>> cod# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>> ERROR: Missing kernel configuration file(s) (MYKERNEL).
>> false
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>>
>> Any ideas why?
>>
>> Curtis

>>> Maybe you can disregard that. Looking at "The Complete FreeBSD" I see
> that you can just use GENERIC, if you want. So, I typed:
>
> make buildworld KERNCONF=GENERIC
>
> and off it went.
>
> Any reason why I wouldn't want to use GENERIC?  I haven't compiled
> anything special for my kernel.

It's worth reading:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

But basically, if you want to use the GENERIC kernel, just type:

#make buildkernel

The KERNCONF thingy is only necessary if you want to use a custom kernel
and, as you've discovered, this won't work unless you have first
generated a custom kernel configuration file, while is normally done by:

#cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
#cp GENERIC MYKERNELNAME
#vi MYKERNELNAME

Then add/delete as appropriate and when you run make buildkernel add
KERNCONF=MYKERNELNAME

It helps, in the long run, to give your kernel a meaningful name.

Regards,

Peter.

--

the circle squared