Is this a bug?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Thu Nov 18 08:54:32 PST 2004

Just tried installing FreeBSD 4.10-R on a 60 GB hard drive. When I used the partition editor to enlarge the /var and /tmp partitions beyond the 256 MB that the install program recommended (I happened to pick 512 MB), the install consistently failed when the system began to write into the file systems; I got a "bad_dir" panic from UFS. But when I left the partitions at the default sizes, the install succeeded. What's up? The sizes I specified are reasonable, so the only thing I can think of is that this reveals an arithmetic bug in newfs, the label editor, or the underlying disklabel utility.

--Brett