basic sendmail problem

David Syphers dsyphers at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 17 20:35:24 PST 2004

I've previously used sendmail in a very simple configuration - it just
forwards my mail to another address. I now want to do that again, and find
that it no longer works. I'm using Sendmail 8.13.1 on 6-CURRENT from 20040905
(i.e. pretty much FreeBSD 5, but with one crucial fix so it would boot on my
computer).

I have sendmail_enable="YES" in rc.conf, I have my aliases and virtusertable
files the way I want them, sendmail's running, and listening on port 25.
However, one thing has changed since the last time I tried this - I'm now on
a LAN. The router sends all port 25 stuff to my server, and that works fine.
But it means that my server has an IP that it can't resolve, though its
domain name resolves into the correct IP and gets to the server even from on
the LAN. I've tried adding this local IP to /etc/hosts for kicks. Nothing
changed.

Every time I try to send a message to any user on the system, from
virtusertable, aliases, or a real user, I get the error 550 5.7.1 "relaying
denied", followed by 550 5.1.1 "user unknown". I get a user unknown error
when I try to mail root. Which is bad. This happens to mail sent from either
inside or outside the LAN. Mail sent on the server itself is delivered fine.
I've tried adding my local network's IP range to Sendmail's access file
allowing relay, but that didn't change anything either. And yes, I did 'make'
in /etc/mail after making all these changes.

Last time I tried this Sendmail worked "out of the box," so I have no idea how
anything actually works. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-David