Problems with dual head in X.

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 16:31:21 PST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:55:20 -0500, NiY <niyamas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greets! I've been having a problem running either XFree86 (4.3 or 4.4)
> or X.org  (6.7 or 6.8), in a dual head configuration. I have used a
> total of four different video cards in different combinations on these
> varying versions of X, and the problem is always the same. I've used
> FBSD 5.2.1 and FBSD 5.3, as well.
> What happens:
> I get X configured fine, and am able to run X a few times, with both
> video cards working fine. After a day or so, or a reboot or three, X
> stops launching. I don't use X to log into, I run it from console. It
> gets to a certain point (I believe it's where it loads the video card
> drivers), and just hangs. I have to cold boot, I can't reboot out of
> it. I can't ssh into the machine when it hangs, I can't change virtual
> terminals.. can't Ctrl-C. All of the video cards are listed as being
> supported  by X.org and XFree86. Also, nothing shows up in the
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log file... It's just blank. Any ideas?

It may be helpfull if you post you X config file to the list, also
there is no errors reported in any of your system logs either?  Also,
it may be helpfull to post which video chipsets you are using to the
list as well.  It sounds like there may be an issue with you AGP or
PCI slot tho, just to throw a wild guess out there ;) (I've had
similar behaviour in the past that I tracked down to a "bad" AGP
slot).

HTH

-pete

--