Finding options for ports

Chris Miller ctodd at netgate.net
Wed Nov 17 12:11:58 PST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> If the port has been converted to use OPTIONS, then there's already a
> list ('make showconfig').  If the port hasn't been converted to
> OPTIONS, it would still need to be converted to your proposed 'make
> showconfig', so you might as well just go all the way and make it use
> OPTIONS.

Good info. Below I used showconfig to find the options for php, and
obviously it's been converted as you mentioned. (read on)

%cd /usr/ports/lang/php4
%make showconfig
===> The following configuration options are set for php4-4.3.9:
     APACHE2=off "Use apache 2.x instead of apache 1.3.x"
     DEBUG=on "Enable debug"
     IPV6=off "Enable ipv6 support"

Unfortunately there are numerous other options that are not available.
Even the cat/grep method of searching for "WITH" doesn't yield the options
I would want to turn on for php. In this case there's a Makefile.ext which
I'm assuming refers to the many php modules from the distribution's "ext"
directory that I might want to include (see below). Using the grep method
for PHP_MODNAME, I find all the options I'm looking for, but (probably a
stupid question, but) how do I add more than one? Do I define PHP_MODNAME
more than once at the command line?

%make PHP_MODNAME=openssl PHP_MODNAME=xslt

I tried that, but neither of the modules were included in the build :-(

Anyway I think the "showconfig" method is the right way to go, but it
should include all possible options for a port, not just the popular ones.
Maybe php is a special case since it has a module framework and many other
ports do not. Maybe we need a "make showmodules" too? Thoughts?

In the short term, how do I get these modules compiled in to my php? :-)

Chris

%grep PHP_MODNAME Makefile.ext
COMMENT=        The ${PHP_MODNAME} shared extension for php
PHP_MODNAME=    ${PKGNAMESUFFIX:S/-//}
WRKSRC=         ${WRKDIR}/php-${PORTVERSION:S/.r/RC/}/ext/${PHP_MODNAME}
.if ${PHP_MODNAME} == "bcmath"
.if ${PHP_MODNAME} == "bz2"
.if ${PHP_MODNAME} == "calendar"
.if ${PHP_MODNAME} == "crack"