Operating System Evaluation

Gordon Smith gsmith at acrelic.com
Wed Nov 17 09:48:09 PST 2004

To Whom It May Concern:

Our firm is conducting an operating system evaluation to select a new server
platform for an interactive, highly available J2EE-based proprietary
application.  The platforms being considered are for both our selected
servlet container server machines, as well as for our selected RDBMS server
machines.  The application is already in production use.

I'd be grateful if you could help me get answers to several questions that I
have.  We'll need to answer these questions before we can consider including
FreeBSD in our evaluation.  Our questions include the following:

* Are there any commercial users of FreeBSD that are using it in a
production environment for interactive, scalable and highly available
applications?  If so, I would like to contact the CTO, VP of Engineering or
equivalent person within such firms directly in some mutually agreeable way
so that I can get their direct and "un-spun" impressions, experiences and
recommendations concerning FreeBSD.  I understand that such persons might
not want the general public to know the details of their platform product
selection; if you could ask the persons I'd like to speak to whether I might
contact them about this matter, I would appreciate your efforts.

* I understand that there may have been issues concerning FreeBSD 5.X (prior
to production release 5.3) and its ability to recognize and/or allocate
threads to second, third etc. processors when used with MySQL, as documented
herein:
    http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/173099
I'd like to know the perspectives of the FreeBSD organization's "development
and QA staff" on these issues, whether they have been addressed in 5.3,
whether these issues exist in the 4.X production release(s), and where I can
get further information on these issues and their resolution(s).

Thank you very much for your anticipated assistance.  I look forward to your
reply.

Cheers,
Gordon Smith

Gordon Smith