Kernel Panic

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 17 02:42:58 PST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Gordon McKee wrote:

> I am running 6-CURRENT just as a test server - it is not doing anything
> really.  Now when the systems boots it gets to the login prompt the I
> get the following error:
>
> panic: free: address 0xd4d91cb0(0xd4d91000) has not been allocated.
>
> Does any one have any ideas how to fix this?  I have tried with and
> without ACPI.
>
> I could just reformat I guess.
>
> Thanks in advance

If you're running 6-CURRENT, you want to become familiar with the kernel
debugging section of the FreeBSD handbook, as the -CURRENT branch is
intended for those who are interested in working with pre-release FreeBSD
code that may (or may not) be stable at any given moment.  The above looks
like a kernel bug; if you could generate a stack trace, that would
probably be the most helpful thing to send to the freebsd-current mailing
list.  You may want to make sure you're running the most recent 6.x code
as bugs appear (and are fixed) with relative frequency.  Make sure you
follow that mailing list so you can get warnings of new features being
added, etc, which can help minimize the risk of grabbing source from a bad
day, or help you identify when a problem you're experiencing is already
being worked on.  It could be that re-installing will fix it, but it's
more likely that the panic is a result of something about your system
configuration (hardware, software) that isn't the case on a FreeBSD
developer's system, so they haven't yet seen the bug (meaning that a
report would be helpful).

robert at fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research