Installation Problems

Michael C. Shultz ringworm at inbox.lv
Tue Nov 16 20:55:30 PST 2004

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 05:25 pm, FrostyPup at aol.com wrote:
> My husband purchased Free BSD. I believe it is version. 5.3. He
> installed the disks and then entered his username and password. Then
> when he needs to sign in he again enters his username and password
> and nothing happens. He can't get  into the program. Do you have any
> information to help with this problem? I have  looked online but
> cannot find info to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for  your
> assistance.
>
> Martha

Does he know the password for root? If yes, log in as root, not himself.
If not, the do the following:

Pick single user mode from the beastie menu, then do something like the
following:

mount -a -t ufs
cd /usr/sbin
./sysinstall

now inside of the install menu find the option to change/set root's
password and do that, then reboot.

-mike