What is preferred method to get new software on 4.10 stable?

Andy Firman andy at firman.us
Tue Nov 16 13:09:21 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 10:43:09AM -0500, Ada Cheng wrote:
> Also don't forget to do a portsdb -Uu after you have cvsup and before
> portupgrade.
> Cheers,
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
> >[Andy Firman, 2004-11-15]
> >> Or is there some mechanism to get .80 in from the ports?
> >Update your ports-tree using cvsup to get an up-to-date version.
> >You should then install portupgrade, if you don't allready have it.
> >Updating clamav from 0.75 to 0.80 should then be as easy as:
> ># portupgrade clamav
> >Remember to read /usr/ports/UPDATING after you've updated your ports-tree.

Good advice thanks.  Here is my actual process of doing this for other
people new to FreeBSD if they would like to do the same.

#cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile .

(added proper mirror in the ports-supfile)

#cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile

Must have the portupgrade package in to run the portsdb command.
I could not run portsdb as it was not installed yet because
the portupgrade port was not installed.

#cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
#make install

#portsdb -Uu

read /usr/ports/UPDATING after you've updated your ports-tree
It is over 1,000 lines, but you can skim and look for software
that is on your system in case you upgrade that particular software.

#portupgrade clamav

Then you need to edit the new conf file as it's different.
Went from clamav.conf to clamd.conf...noticed that when
skimming /usr/ports/UPDATING.

Note:
#portversion -l "<"
will provide you with a list of outdated installed ports/packages