xorg/xfree86

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Tue Nov 16 12:46:06 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 09:39:34PM +0100, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> I run FreeBSD-4.10 and will remain to do so for some time. Now I read on
> the fbsd site the following text:
>
> /quote/
> As mentioned in a prior section, Xorg is the default implementation of
> the X Window System. The Ports Collection (as well as packages) rely on
> this change to satisfy dependencies. To convert the installed windowing
> system from XFree86 to Xorg, refer to the Installing X11 section in the
> FreeBSD Handbook.
> /endquote/
>
> Does this mean that compiling from source will be difficult on my 4.10
> machine which runs XFree86? I don't want to change to Xorg (yet).

For FreeBSD 4.10 XFree86 is still the default. (Xorg is the default on
FreeBSD 5.x)  If you are compiling from source via the ports system (as
opposed to using pre-compiled packages) it should work just fine with
either Xorg or XFree86. (If you want to use the non-default one you
will need to set X_WINDOW_SYSTEM in /etc/make.conf)

> Are there things to do to keep on running 4.10 and ports for a while
> without a hassle?

No. Things should work fine without you needing to do anything special.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se