Mysterious freeze while booting

Andreas Davour ante at Update.UU.SE
Tue Nov 16 07:07:52 PST 2004

I have this odd behaviour from both my 5.2 and my 5.3 installations.
GENERIC or my own.

When booting the console displays the usual messages like below:

1> Starting local daemons:.
2> Updating motd.
3> Configuring syscons: keymap blanktime.
4> Initial i386 initialization:.
5> Additional ABI support: linux.
6> Starting cron.

What is strange is that after line 3 the computer suddenly stops for a
long time, almost a minute, doing (as far as I know) nothing!

Then the following lines 4,5,6 flow forth and the systems boot like it
should.

I have examined the Handbook, and I have checked the scripts that
produce this output and I don't understand what's happening. I also
tried to run the process step-by-step by hand from single-user mode and
it never showed that odd "sleep" period.

Anyone have a clue?

/Andreas

--
George W. Bush won, so now the world will endure four more years of
idiocy, arrogance and unwarranted bloodshed. Congratulation USA!