Fwd: Upgrading 5.3-Beta1 to 5.3-RELEASE

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Mon Nov 15 10:02:52 PST 2004

On 08 Nov, 2004, at 17:38, Adam Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 04:49:42PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan said:
>> Just want to be sure that I do the right thing.
>>
>> So, my version at present is 5.3-BETA1 and I want to install 5.3.
>> I supposed I could just install 5.3 over my current version, but
>> wouldn't an upgrade work just as well?
>>
>> Finally, want to make sure I have the procedure right:
>>
>>  ??? go to: /usr/local/etc/cvsup
>>  ??? issue the following command: /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2
>> stable-supfile
>>  ??? once finished, then go to: /usr/src
>>  ??? enter the commands:
>
> There are some nicer ways to do this.  Check
> http://www.bugman.cx/cvsup/
> for my make.conf, release-supfile and ports-supfile for examples.  You
> can
> copy these three files into your /etc directory, and using the
> make.conf
> file, you can now just 'cd /usr/src' and then issue a 'make update'.
> Your
> make.conf flags will tell CVSup what to do.
>
> Make sure you edit the three files carefully, as you'll want to specify
> local CVSup server *and* you'll want to make sure the make.conf flags
> are
> correct.  Remember that whenever you run 'make', the commands in
> make.conf
> are passed as options to the make command.  That means if you have
> 'WITHOUT_X11=true' in your make.conf file, that will get passed to
> every
> single port build you perform.
>
> If you already have a make.conf file you might want to just copy out
> the
> MASTER_ lines and all of the SUP lines (including PORTSSUPFILE) and put
> them into your own make.conf.

Based on information Adam Smith wrote in his last letter to my request
on this subject I just wanted to be sure that I have done everything
correctly.

I have edited 2 of the files, but am not certain about whether I have
edited them right.
So, here they are one by one:

make.conf
MASTER_SITE_BACKUP?=    \

ftp://ftp2.au.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/
MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE?=  ${MASTER_SITE_BACKUP}
MASTER_SORT_REGEX?=     ^file:
^ftp://ftp\.FreeBSD\.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/
://[^/]*\.au/ ://[^/]*\.au\.
SUP_UPDATE=yes
SUP=/usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=-g -L 2 -r 0
SUPHOST=mirror.internode.on.net
SUPFILE=/etc/release-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=/etc/ports-supfile
WITHOUT_GUI=true
WITHOUT_X11=true
WITHOUT_CUPS=false

[In the make.conf file I edited only the last line as I wanted CUPS on
the server.  Was that a mistake.  Also, I am uncertain where to put the
CVS server in this file.]

---------------------------------
ports-supfile
*default host=cvsup10.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix

ports-all tag=.

[I have removed all the commented out stuff. I have made this reflect
my ports-supfile, which works. Hence I changed default base, default
release. I think those are the only changes I made]

--------------------------------
release-supfile
*default host=cvsup10.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix

src-all

[Now I have never used such a supfile before, but I made changes
similar to those in the ports-supfile: i.e., I changed the default
host. But I wasn't sure about the default base. Then as for default
release, I assume it is now 5_3?]

I really appreciate your input and help.

Curtis Vaughan

PS. You have no link to your release-supfile on your site, but do a
link to a src-supfile, which doesn't work. However, by typing in
release-supfile in my browser I was able to get your release-supfile.