SOLVED: My desktop travails, 2: Glacially slow X.org

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Mon Nov 15 09:06:27 PST 2004

On 11/15/04 09:39 AM, Kirk Strauser sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Monday 08 November 2004 15:36, Kirk Strauser wrote:
>
> > So, any idea why my text rendering and GLX are so painfully slow?
>
> Text rendering:
>
> Disregard the warnings and add this to the NVidia card's "Device" section in
> xorg.conf:
>
>         Option      "RenderAccel" "True"
>
> GLX:
>
> Even though the docs say that you might be able to disable FreeBSD's AGPGART
> driver by editing /boot/device.hints, if you don't see the expected results
> then go ahead and recompile a new kernel with the "device agp" line
> commented or remoted and then reboot with it.
>
> The net result of those two actions is a FreeBSD desktop that's every bit as
> smooth and fast as the equivalent Linux system would be.

Funny, I'm using the nvidia-drivers port with the FreeBSD AGP driver,
and I'm not having any problem with my desktop.  I have an Nvidia
GeForce FX 5200 with a dual head config (using the NVIDIA Twinview
feature) and it's just as fast as I could possibly wish.

Last time I ran comparisons, I found identical configs of the same
software on the same hardware to be much faster on FreeBSD.  Of course,
this was 4 years ago, but a 55% faster startup on FreeBSD isn't trivial.
This was with XFree86 3.x and Fvwm2.2.

But enough of that.  I'm not finding any docs on the RenderAccel option.
Can you point me to it?

Thanks
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Getting the job done is no excuse for not following the rules.