Problem Building World

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at
Mon Nov 15 16:30:55 GMT 2004

Cyber Dog wrote:

>	I'm working with a server currently running FreeBSD 4.6.  Clearly it
>hasn't been updated too recently, and I've made it my goal to bring it into
>the present.  This would be my first time rebuilding a FreeBSD OS.  I
>started out by clearing out /usr/src, and doing a fresh cvsup with the
>following supfile:

>*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_10
>*default delete use-rel-suffix
># If your network link is a T1 or faster, comment out the following line.
>*default compress
>## Main Source Tree.
># The easiest way to get the main source tree is to use the "src-all"
># mega-collection.  It includes all of the individual "src-*" collections.
># Please note:  If you want to track -STABLE, leave this uncommented.
>ports-all tag=.
>As far as I can tell, all went well with that.  I've been using the
>documentation at:
>I cleared out /usr/obj as it describes.  Then I cd /usr/src, and do a "make
>buildworld".  It churns along for awhile, but then we hit the problem area:
>===> secure/lib/libcrypto
>( echo "#ifndef MK1MF_BUILD";  echo "  /* auto-generated by
>crypto/Makefile.ssl for crypto/cversion.c */";  echo "  #define CFLAGS
>\"cc\"";  echo "  #define PLATFORM \"`uname -s`-`uname -m`\"";  echo "
>#define DATE \"`LC_ALL=C date`\"";  echo "#endif" ) > buildinf.h
>rm -f .depend
>mkdep -f .depend -a    -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/lib -DTERMIOS
>-DANSI_SOURCE -I/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl
>-I/usr/obj/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto -DL_ENDIAN

[large snip of build output]

>#error "Inconsistency between crypto.h and cryptlib.c"
>mkdep: compile failed
>*** Error code 1
>Stop in /usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto.
>*** Error code 1
>Stop in /usr/src.
>*** Error code 1
>Stop in /usr/src.
>*** Error code 1
>Stop in /usr/src.
>*** Error code 1
>Stop in /usr/src.
>[root at hostname src]#
>As you can see, something's amiss here.  I don't understand why there would
>be any I said; I did a fresh CVSup (multiple times in
>fact).  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, Matt:

I'm certainly not an expert here, but it seems like
it's an awful long way from 4.6 to 4.10. 

Have you tried an intermediate update, say, 4.6 to 4.7
[or 4.8]?

So many changes occur over time; and by the time 4.10
came out, 4.6 was very old*; so it's entirely possible that
you might need to do a cvsup/buildworld routine to
something a little closer to your box's date prior to
attempting (and having any success) with 4.10.  You
might try changing the 'cvs tag' in your supfile to
RELENG_4_7 or RELENG_4_8 and going again....

Kevin Kinsey

*and probably past it's "EOL".  Whether or not, I'm sure
it'd be nice if it _would_ build, but it's possible that the
engineering team was under no compunction to test
a migration from 4.6 directly to 4.10 at the time 4.10 was
being tested for release, and therefore it wasn't (tested) ...
like I said, I'm no expert, but a 'stepping stone' approach
to the problem might work....

More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list