Floppy images of 5.X installation (was: Re: No really a question more like a reminder.)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 15 15:39:35 GMT 2004

On 2004-11-14 19:29, "New Age Affiliation, Inc." <newageaffiliation at charter.net> wrote:

> I Love the OS and work your team and others do to maintain and put
> out new releases of FreeBSD.
>
> The actual subject of this e-mail is to remind or perhaps even let
> you know that the floppies for 5.3 are a little different and sort
> of tricky for those used to the older ways. The three files boot.flp
> kern1.flp and kern2.flp do not have instructions that I found to
> follow. It is common sense after a little run with it but still the
> manual for 5.3 still follows the older modes with kern.flp and
> mfsroot.flp. Thank you for your great OS and I wish you the best of
> luck and perhaps one day I might join the team ;) Take care!

Good point.  I committed a fix for this last night, so the online
copies of the docs will be a tiny bit better.  The online copy of the
Handbook now has the fixed instructions regarding floppies:

: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html
:
: The floppy images have a .flp extension. [...] If you are installing
: FreeBSD 5.x in most cases you will need three floppies, boot.flp,
: kern1.flp, and kern2.flp. Additional device drivers may be necessary
: for some systems.  These drivers are provided on the drivers.flp
: image.  Check README.TXT in the same directory for the most up to
: date information about these floppy images.

I'm sorry we didn't notice _before_ the CD-ROMs of 5.3 RELEASE were cut.

Hopefully, every future release of the 5.X branch will have many more
of the details like this fixed and will be even more appealing to you
as an end-user :-)

Regards,
Giorgos