Which Apache version to use?

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Mon Nov 15 00:39:44 GMT 2004

My purpose: Learn FreeBSD, learn Apache, build simple web server.
Hardware:   Dedicated i386 machine, three big HDs (120GB, 120GB, 200GB)
OS:         FreeBSD 5.3. No X windows installed (maybe later?)
Apps:       Also intend to use postfix, majordomo, samba
LAN:        Serve LAN with Windows machines, all LAN IPs are fixed.
Internet:   Fixed IPs available to be used later.
Web pages:  I have many web pages (no java) that I would like to
            copy from their present server to a local server.

My new 5.3 installation includes these ports:
            apache-contrib
            apache-forrest
            apache-jserv
            apache13
            apache13+ipv6
            apache13-modperl
            apache13-modssl
            apache13-modssl+ipv6
            apache13-ssl
            apache2

As I'm learning from scratch, am I correct in assuming that I would
be better off to start with apache2, or should I use one of the
flavors of apache13 (1.3) and perhaps upgrade later?

If I use 1.3, why would I use anything other than the apache13 port?

Links to "how to do it" web pages would be appreciated.

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California, USA