rebuild problems

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Nov 14 20:46:44 GMT 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Subhro wrote:

> [...]

I had a setup left over from 2 years back, it was (then) FreeBSD-current
so i suppose it still is.  I finally decided to risk it, and i installed
the latest gcc, and that fixed the problem at 'make depend' so it appears
you need the more rrecent compiler.  it's building now, wish me luck.

> rebuilt everything, and it built fine, but on
> rebooting, it panics, something about reading a zero at address zero (I
> can't copy this).  I figured, just recompile the kernel ... so, I had to
> actually install config, which meant I had to actually install libc ..
> done, no problem so far.  I did the config on the new config file, but
> when I cd'ed to the kernel build dir and did the make depend, it came back
> with a couple of unfamiliar errors:
>
> =====error lines====================
> make _kernel-depend
> cc -c -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wredundant-decls
> -Wnested-externs -Ws
> trict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
> -fform
> at-extensions -std=c99 -g -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../../..
> -I../../../contrib/dev/acp
> ica -I../../../contrib/altq -I../../../contrib/ipfilter
> -I../../../contrib/pf -I.
> ./../../contrib/dev/ath -I../../../contrib/dev/ath/freebsd
> -I../../../contrib/nga
> tm -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -finline-limit=8000 --param
> inline-unit-growth
> =100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -mno-align-long-strings
> -mpreferred-stack
> -boundary=2 -ffreestanding ../../../i386/i386/genassym.c
> cc1: error: invalid parameter `inline-unit-growth'
> cc1: error: invalid parameter `large-function-growth'
> ===========end error lines===================
>
> Do I need to install gcc?
>
> Gcc is a part of the FreeBSD Tree. The one in the ports tree is not
> interchangeable as the system compiler.
>
> <snip>
>
> Regards
> S.
>
> Subhro Sankha Kar
> Block AQ-13/1, Sector V
> Salt Lake City
> PIN 700091
> India

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).