HID support

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Nov 14 20:12:56 GMT 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, FreeBsdBeni wrote:

> On Sunday 14 November 2004 14:19, Roman V. Kiseliov wrote:
> > It seems that "USB keyboard and mouse" wireless sets doesn't work properly
> > in FreeBSD (my opinion based on mailing lists archives). At least sets from
> > A4Tech (see my earlier post), Logitech, Chicony & M$.
> >
> > These sets works fine in Linux and M$ Windows.
> > I think because of better HID support. Mouse and keyboard must thought
> > as one HID device.
> >
> > How I can configure my funny FreeBSD to work with my keyboard and
> > mouse set as with one HID device?
> >
> From the 5.3-REL Errata file :
>
> (31 Oct 2004, updated on 5 Nov 2004) For FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64, when
> installing FreeBSD 5.3 using an USB keyboard the keyboard will stop working
> once the kernel boots, because a PS/2 keyboard is always considered to be
> attached. As a workaround, select ``Escape to loader prompt'' in the boot
> loader menu and enter the following lines at the prompt:
>
> set hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"
> boot

This is the first forward movement on this subject iin 3 weeks now, Please
read on!

I did as asked, and for the first time, I saw the mouse prompt from the
end of the kernel disk probing (when rc goes active) *until* I struck the
first keystroke on the usb keyboard.  I have the Logitech trackball
(radio-linked).  The mouse cursor winks out when I strike the first key on
the login attempt (I had previously hit keys in doing the hints
adjustment, you understand, but the kernel wasn't awake then).

Dmesg tells me that /dev/ums0 is being detected just fine, but no amount
of subsequent playing about with 'vidcontrol -m on' has any effect, the
mouse cursor remains stubbornly missing.  Do you have any other
suggestions?

> Note that if you use the boot floppies, this is set by default.
>
> After the installation, add the following line to /boot/loader.conf:
>
> hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"
>
> I'm having the same problem...
> Hope this helps ;-)

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).