Kernel compilation failed in 5.3-RELEASE

Donald J. O'Neill donaldj1066 at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 14 15:12:15 GMT 2004

On Sunday 14 November 2004 04:52 am, Robert Kot wrote:
> > Recvsup and rebuild. Did you change anything in /etc/make.conf?
>
> No, absolutely not. This is my /etc/make.conf:
>
> # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
> # Created: Wed Nov 10 22:37:45 2004
> # Setting to use base perl from ports:
> PERL_VER=5.8.5
> PERL_VERSION=5.8.5
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
>
> Isn't it supposed to work out of the box ? I had
> no such problems with 5.1 and 5.2. Since 5.3 is
> a production release, I'm quite surprised by such
> problems with kernel recompilation, unless I screwed
> something up.
>
> How can I do recvsup ? Sorry for the stupid question,
> I'm still a beginner.
>
> Regards,
> Jarek
Hi Jarek,

I noticed the original post was signed Robert, are there two people
working on this or is Jarek another name you go by? Just curious.

First Advice: don't make changes to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.
Copy GENERIC to some other name and make the changes there.

Second Advice: read /usr/src/UPDATING - you may already know this,
but... - start with the "COMMON ITEMS" section, found towards the
end. Then work your way backwards from the beginning.
Also, look at /usr/src/share/examples/etc/make.conf
or /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf

Third Advice: there are too many other places to look for
information to list. Handbook, FAQ, Release Notes, Errata,
Installation Guide, Hardware Notes, Installation Notes, Migration
Guide, etc.

Your first questions: Sure, it does, if you use it as is. You're
making changes and there are things you need to do in order for
those changes to work.

Second Question: recvsup should probably be re-cvsup, this supposes
that you did a cvsup of your sources to begin with and something
was wrong with it. So, do you have cvsup installed? Do you know how
to use it? Do you know about supfiles and what should be in one?

I think you need to cvsup your sources and go through the full
buildworld sequence. I think you're trying to short cut and it's
biting you in the butt right now.

Everyone was a beginner at some time.

Don

--