Installing on two hard drives

Mark Vasquez mrvasquez at cox.net
Sat Nov 13 16:18:05 GMT 2004

Gerard Seibert wrote:

> I am planning to install FreeBSD 5.3 on one of my computers. I
> presently have version 5.2.1 installed on another box.
>
> The one that I want to install on now has two hard drives. I would
> like to install everything except "USR" on one drive and "USR" on the
> other. That would seem to afford me the most advantageous use of disk
> space. It seems that I was always running low on disk space on the
> other unit I have in use. Both drives, by the way, are 10 GB in size.

I have FreeBSD installed on a system with two disks, where home is
mounted to the 2nd disk, while /, /usr/, and /var are mounted to 2
seperate partitions on the 1st disk.

> My question is how to go about this. This will be a fresh install with
> no other OS to be taken into consideration. I have checked the Hand
> Book, but I was not able to find exactly what I was looking for. Then
> again, I am not the most efficient searcher.

I did this by installing BSD to the 1st disk, then using sysinstall to
format and create a filesystem on the 2nd disk. After that I just
modified the /etc/fstab file so that the correct filesystem would be
mounted to /home, then used the command "mount /home" and it was done.

There are precise instructions for adding a disk to an existing system
in "The complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey.

By the way, it is not recommended to have /usr mounted to a seperate
filesystem. I believe that the reason for this is because it can cause
problems when upgrading a system.