want to change my gateway to fbsd from win xp

Mike Schuette mikes at mscweb.com
Fri Nov 12 20:19:52 GMT 2004

Marty Landman wrote:

> My office network is set up as follows:
>
> gateway/win xp home ed./apache
> fbsd 4.8/apache
> rh linux 9/apache
> win xp home/lots of im'g
> win xp home
> * dual boot - debian/win me
>
> That last one's pending a repair and os installs currently runs w98.
>
> I'd like to move the gateway from my xp workstation to the fbsd box.
> This raises a bunch of questions for me:
>
> 1. is there a CLI query to let me find the speed of the currently
> installed modem?
> 2. besides plugging my phone line into the fbsd modem and moving my xp
> hosts file to /etc/hosts, what else is needed? e.g. how do I setup the
> isp connection and the fbsd equivalent of window's internet connection
> service?
> 3. what is advisable to use on the fbsd gateway to control viruses and
> adware that's been spreading like wildfire on my windows nodes?
> 4. overall, how big a deal is the migration?
>
> Marty
>

> Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
> Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
> Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal

I suggest you read the handbook for dialup connections, specifically the
section titled "Using User PPP".  As usual, there are many ways to
accomplish this task, but this is probably the easiest to set up.

As for the modem speed, if you can connect to it with minicom or another
terminal program, you can issue ATIx commands with x being an integer
1-10.  This will ask the modem for general information, which should
give you make & model of the modem to look up.  It might give you max
speed as well.

To act as a gateway to a LAN with private IP's you will need three
things.  A kernel with IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT, gateway_enable="yes" in
rc.conf, and natd.  Unless I'm mistaken, natd is in the base setup.  As
a starting point, I give you this from one of my routers, where xl0 is
the internet interface:

natd -interface xl0
ipfw add 301 divert natd ip from any to any via xl0

You should read up on how NAT (network address translation) works,
because that's how everyone does it, not just *bsd.  In fact, there is a
form of NAT going on in Internet Connection Sharing from MS as well.

Question #3 I have no experience with, and #4's answer is, "like
anything else, very easy if you know what you're doing."

Mike Schuette
Micro Systems Consulting
Minocqua, WI 54548