Squid+Privoxy or Snort?

TM4526 at aol.com TM4526 at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 17:48:53 GMT 2004

In a message dated 11/12/04 9:38:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bsilver at chrononomicon.com writes:
> I'm trying to investigate some potential solutions to escape from
> different microsoft specific malware (like gator's software).
> The two mentioned in subject were found after some Google search.
> Wonder what are you guys using for this sort of problems.
> Thanks.

>Squid can be used if you redirect all web traffic through the squid
>proxy; we have used squid with SquidGuard to block access to some
>gator-esque sites.  If they get infected, they at least can't phone
>home and we can see what IP's are trying to phone home so we can clean
>them up if it's a problem.

The issue with proxies is that they are a drag on your network; using
squid as a firewall only isnt very smart. If you are already using it
fine. But on a large network you are better off using a firewall or some
sort of bandwidth management like the stuff on etinc.com.