want to change my gateway to fbsd from win xp

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Thu Nov 11 19:20:41 GMT 2004

My office network is set up as follows:

gateway/win xp home ed./apache
fbsd 4.8/apache
rh linux 9/apache
win xp home/lots of im'g
win xp home
* dual boot - debian/win me

That last one's pending a repair and os installs currently runs w98.

I'd like to move the gateway from my xp workstation to the fbsd box. This
raises a bunch of questions for me:

1. is there a CLI query to let me find the speed of the currently installed
modem?
2. besides plugging my phone line into the fbsd modem and moving my xp
hosts file to /etc/hosts, what else is needed? e.g. how do I setup the isp
connection and the fbsd equivalent of window's internet connection service?
3. what is advisable to use on the fbsd gateway to control viruses and
adware that's been spreading like wildfire on my windows nodes?
4. overall, how big a deal is the migration?

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal