RDEsktop/VNC questions

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Thu Nov 11 09:35:51 PST 2004

On Thursday 11 November 2004 10:38 am, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> On 11/10/04 06:14 PM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
> > Quick question about interconnectivity.
> >
> > You OSX users may be familiar with a very slick little utility
> > called RDC (Remote Desktop Connection).  Some of you other *BSDers
> > may also be familiar with one called VNC (Visual Network Connection
> > ?) or RDP (?). The purpose of said utilities is to provide a sort
> > of graphical shell similar to an X session from a remote machine in
> > a window.
> >
> > There are several rdesktop and vnc clients in the ports, so rather
> > than go through the flurry of install-tryout-uninstall/repeat, I
> > figured I'd go to the place to ask questions.  Here.
> >
> > So, who's using these clients, and how effective have you been
> > finding them?  Any gotchas?  How cool is it?  Do they just plain
> > suck?  And more to the point, which one(s) should I start with on
> > the short list?
> >
> > All feedback is welcome - and appreciated.
> > Lou
>
> Very cool feedback.  Thank you all.  I'll start looking into the
> terminal service (it didn't get installed with W2K, but I haven't
> checked out XP Pro yet) and use VNC in the meantime.  I'll be using
> it to write Word docs mostly, and if it's efficient enough, I might
> just see how well Escape Velocity works (I know, probably not at
> all). Network security isn't an issue because it's all my personal
> network behind a firewall.
>
> Thanks again.
> Lou

I'm entering this thread late; so please forgive me if I'm duplicating
someone else's input.

One of TightVNC's enhancements over VNC is the ability to access the
server from a web browser.

TightVNC listens on port 5800 + the display number. Therefore, if you
would normally use a vncviewer to access the TightVNC server
192.168.0.1:1, you could also access the desktop using any gui internet
browser at:

http://192.168.0.1:5801/

(I have NOT tested this from browser on a pda or cell phone.)

TightVNC is available for many operating systems including FreeBSD (it's
in the ports), Windows and Linux.  I don't think it's available for Mac
OSX.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould