Fixing bad blocks (was: Re: Do you need to dismount /usr to

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Nov 11 07:19:09 PST 2004

> At 01:18 PM 11/10/2004, you wrote:
> >Your problem seems to be bad blocks in the /usr file system.
> >That has nothing to do with dump.  It is a bad spot on the disk.
> >fsck will not fix that sort of thing.   If you can figure out
> >what files sit on the bad spots, you might be able to delete them
> >and then do your dump.   Then you should immediately replace the
> >disk.
>
> I tarred up all of /usr to another filesystem, and I did see an error
> reading a core dump file from squid. I deleted the file and I was then able
> to dump /usr successfully. So that's good news.
>
> However, I apparently need to fix the bad blocks before my RAID will
> rebuild. (I had hoped it would do file-wise copies, but it looks like it
> does lower level reading.)
>
> It is my understanding that an IDE disk will only remap a bad block on a
> write, not just a read. My plan is to load up /usr with enough files to
> fill it up; this should write to the bad blocks and force them to be
> remapped to spares.
>
> I am hopeful that the drive is still healthy, as it only shows 2 SMART
> errors. (Can a core dump cause a bad block or two?)

A core dump will not create bad blocks.  They are usually due to bad
spots on the disk - it is physical.   You could see if there is a
surface scan available in your bios or some accompanying diagnostic
utilities.   But, the reality is that if you start actually seeing
bad blocks reported, then there is a strong likelyhood that the disk
has already had others that were concealed by the automatic remapping
and is coming near to its demise.  So, that makes it a good time to
replace the drive rather than leaving yourself open to problems later -
and maybe not so much later either.

So, good luck,

////jerry