Vinum configuration lost at vinum stop / start

Kim Helenius tristan at cc.jyu.fi
Thu Nov 11 05:33:07 PST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Stijn Hoop wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 12:00:52PM +0200, Kim Helenius wrote:
> > Greetings. I posted earlier about problems with vinum raid5 but it
> > appears it's not restricted to that.
>
> Are you running regular vinum on 5.x? It is known broken. Please use
> 'gvinum' instead.
>
> There is one caveat: the gvinum that shipped with 5.3-RELEASE contains an
> error in RAID-5 initialization. If you really need RAID-5 you either need
> to wait for the first patch level release of 5.3, or you can build
> RELENG_5 from source yourself. The fix went in on 2004-11-07.

Thank you for your answer. I tested normal concat with both 5.2.1-RELEASE and
5.3-RELEASE with similar results. Plenty of people (at least I get this
impression after browsing several mailing lists and websites) have working
vinum setups with 5.2.1 (where gvinum doesn't exist) so there's definately
something I'm doing wrong here. So my problem is not limited to raid5.

I'm aware of gvinum and the bug and actually tried to cvsup & make world
last night but it didn't succeed due to some missing files in netgraph
dirs. I will try again tonight.