Thru a 'nasty' proxy

Vittorio v.demartino2 at virgilio.it
Thu Nov 11 04:56:10 PST 2004

Old linux user now moving gradually to freebsd 5.2.1, at office we have
a lan
1) with an http proxy for which authentication via userid & passwd is
needed AND
2) ftp is blocked, not permitted.

I want to use the ports and compile my programs. I have already tried to
set the http proxy (as under linux, by the way!)  issuing:

env HTTP_PROXY="http://userid:passwd@myproxy.it:8080"

to no avail; freebsd complains endlessly that
fetch: ftp://............: Host not found
as if it cannot resolve the ftp site (which in turn is blocked) even
though  I have the nameserver under /etc/resolv.conf

Could you please tell me in a straightforward manner what **exactly**
should I do for both 1) and 2)?

Is there any alternative way of getting the source ports using an http
connection (I cannot buy the CDs and similkar things)?

Ciao

Vittorio