Two NICs with one IP address each on the same subnet

TM4526 at aol.com TM4526 at aol.com
Wed Nov 10 13:32:27 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/9/04 9:58:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
speisert at yahoo.com writes:
"I have a FreeBSD 5.x box with two NICs that I'd like
to set up on the same subnet.  The purpose is to run
separate services on each NIC.  I have the box set up
with my rc.conf containing the following lines:

defaultrouter="..."
hostname="..."
ifconfig_xl0="inet ...  netmask 255.255.255.224"
ifconfig_sk0="inet ...  netmask 255.255.255.224 mtu
9000"

The router and IP addresses are all on the same
subnet, as I previously mentioned.  Unfortunately, the
first IP address seems not to work (I can ssh to the
second, but not the first).  Is there something
special I need to do to the routing to get this to
work?  Anything to the kernel?  "

-------

You are breaking the rules.

The entire point of "routing" is that each segment is a different network.
So you'll have to further subnet to do what you want. Or set up Bridging