cdrtools & scsi cdrom

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Wed Nov 10 12:43:34 PST 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 03:24 pm, Vittorio wrote:
> Under freeBSD 5.2.1 I compiled cdrtools from /usr/ports/cdrtools.
>
> Now, even though  I'm expert under linux in burning CDs  & setting
> the ATAPI RW-cdrom as a SCSI one via the module ide-scsi, I can't
> figure out how to do the same under freebsd.
>
> Could you please help?
>
> By the way where, under what directory, I can find the CD-Writing
> HOWTO in freebsd (and, of course the other Howtos)?
>

> Ciao
> Vittorio

The easiest way to burn a CD using an IDE CD writer in FreeBSD is with
burncd, which is installed by default.  No SCSI emulation is needed;
but you need to install cdrtools from the ports to get mkisofs (which
you have already done).

If you have a SCSI CD burner, you can use cdrecord -- no SCSI emulation
is needed.

If you want to use cdrecord with an IDE CD writer (or plan to install an
IDE DVD burner), you'll need to recompile your kernel with the
following devices:

device atapicam
device ata
device scbus
device cd
device pass

(I think all but atapicam are configured in the default kernel.)