FBSD 2.5.1-p11 | Promise SATA150 TX2plus | Seagate B 200GB - BAD SUPERBLK / Machine freezes up etc

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Wed Nov 10 10:25:15 PST 2004

On 11/10/04 07:13 PM, Sebastian Holmqvist sat at the `puter and typed:
> >  <SNIP>
>
> Gah!!
> This drives me mad!
>
> My cvsup didn't go as I planned, so I reinstalled from scratch yesterday.
> Updated my ports-tree and installed proftp and set it up.
>
> I formatted my Sata-discs WITH the logical geometry printed at seagates site.
> Started a transfer, it lasted 2 hours, then :/
> Now my whole can is frozen and I can't do anything but restart.
> Somebody, please help!

I feel your pain buddy.

I haven't had any trouble yet with my new 5.3 install.  I haven't booted
up an SMP kernel yet either.  Who knows if that will do the trick.  This
is the initial install with the fdisk detected geometry, not the WD
settings.

I have put the system under some load, but without the SMP kernel I
wasn't able to get the disk humming too much.  I even built mozilla in
one shell while rebuilding firefox in another.  Building OpenOffice.org
didn't encounter any problems either.

If all goes well, while I'm at work today, the first stage of buildworld
and buildkernel should be happening.  When I get home, I'll finish the
install and see if rebuilding OpenOffice.org works without incident.
Other than that, everything but the BSD version (and my fancy new dual
head setup - happydance!) is the same as my previous 5.2.1 setup that
had me pulling my hair out with disk write based crashes.

I'll fill you in when I know what happens.
Good luck.
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
    -- Groucho Marx