Problem connecting with ADSL modem [ was Re: Hello List ]

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Wed Nov 10 07:21:39 PST 2004

Ben Haysom wrote:

> That didn't work.
> I could ping my external IP 80.227.249.79 but not others.
> Error messages on first screen of main server saying that IP wasn't valid.

Please, I can't see your screen, I can't see what you are trying to do
or what you are actually doing, and I can't see the output you get. If
there is no output, try add verbose flags '-v' and run dhclient in the
forground with '-d'. Check your logs, see if changes has been applied,
what is your ip after you ran the command? check with ifconfig.

See the man pages for the commands you run, there may be addtional flags
that will print extra usefull information.

> Now I can't ssh across the internal network to it either.

>From where to where, what has been working? Are your cables attached to
the correct interfaces? if running dhclient on your external interface
changes anything on your internal network then a) you have switched
cables or b) indicated the wrong interfaces in previous post or c)
things were working in the first place, and I have absolutely no idea of
what problem you are trying to solve.

Please be patient and take your time to provide usefull and correct
information - from my end of the Internet, I can ping 80.229.247.29
(prev. mail) but not 80.227.249.79.

Fill out the diagram with interface names, ip and netmask of each
component ad a ? if you don't have it. Provide the info from your ISP:
your static ip, netmask, default router/gateway.

If you want others to help you need to help them help you by providing
detailed, relevant and correct information - otherwise they may just
loose interest.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org