Apache2 seg faults

Hasse Hansson webmaster at swedehost.com
Wed Nov 10 07:16:08 PST 2004

Admin wrote:

> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 08:03:15PM +0100, Webmaster wrote:
>>

>>> Hi everybody.
>>> Need help with Apache2 seg fault.
>>> I'm totally in my blinds on this one. It seems like the problem
>>> occurs when Apache is trying to
>>> do a graceful restart.
>>> Tried to do some "googling" and searching the mail archives, but
>>> found nothing useful.
>>> Found an answer from Matthew Seaman to a similar problem, but didn't
>>> understand much about it.
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-questions/2004-September/057901.html
>>>

>> Fame at last!
>>

>>> odin# uname -a
>>> FreeBSD odin.swedehost.com 4.10-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p3
>>> #0: Fri Nov  5 16:04:49 CET 2004
>>> root at odin.swedehost.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ODIN  i386
>>>
>>> This is what the httpd-error.log has to say about it :
>>> [Mon Nov 08 19:00:00 2004] [notice] Graceful restart requested,
>>> doing restart
>>> [Mon Nov 08 19:00:02 2004] [notice] seg fault or similar nasty error
>>> detected in the parent process
>>> [Mon Nov 08 19:01:52 2004] [warn] pid file /var/run/httpd.pid
>>> overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
>>> [Mon Nov 08 19:01:52 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.52 (FreeBSD)
>>> PHP/4.3.9 mod_ssl/2.0.52 OpenSSL/0.9.7d configured -- resuming
>>> normal operations
>>>
>>> And then nothing happening. I have to manually restart the server by
>>> issuing the following :
>>> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl startssl
>>>
>>> Any and all help preciated.
>>>

>> It is probably not a problem with the base Apache itself which is
>> leading to the segfaults.  Rather I'd suspect that some module you're
>> module like mod_php{4,5}, mod_jk or mod_perl.
>>
>> The first step is to narrow down what the cause of the problem is.
>> Try commenting out the LoadModule directives in httpd.conf until you
>> can isolate which one is the cause of the problem.
>>
>> Note: I'm assuming that you're using the standard prefork MPM --
>> that's definitely the preferred (in fact the only working) method
>> under 4.10.  I think it's still preferred in 5.x, but in that OS
>> version you might be able to succeed at using one of the threaded
>> MPMs.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>>     Matthew
>>

> Thx for your answer.
> Will follow your advice and try to pinpoint which module causing the
> problem.
> I do suspect php according to another mail I found searching the
> archives.
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-questions/2004-April/042300.html
>
> leading to this link : /http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=27810
> /which didn't enlight me very much, but might help other people to
> understand the problem :-)
>
> Another issue I do remember from last time I cvsupe'd and port
> upgraded, was two ports
> that wasn't upgraded.
> [...]
Hi.
After some more " googling " and some experimenting with commenting out
LoadModules in Apache httpd.conf,
I'm positive the problem is a bug in PHP and related to the
php4-pcre-4.3.9 extension.
Unfortunately, I can't do without it. I'm running Squirrelmail.
One solution I 've found would be to install the php4-pcre-4.3.4 version
that is said to be working, but how do I do that ?
Don't know how to find and install old ports :-)
The solution to bugs and problems used to be to uppgrade, not downgrade
your ports.

For others interested, here are some of the useful URL's I found
regarding this issue :
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=27735
http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/news/article/freebsd.csie.nctu.edu.tw/mailing.freebsd.ports/122053h

/ Regards