DNS Cache Server

NiY niyamas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 16:01:19 PST 2004

Noticed the tread on a caching DNS server, and that brought up a
couple of questions   I had.
I have a DNS server set up in my home. I have a FreeBSD 5.2.1 box
acting as my gateway, running ipfw and natd. It routes my one static
IP address from my DSL provider to a set of internal, unroutable IPs.
That part is working fine. Also on that box is a caching DNS server.
The internal IP for the gateway is 192.168.0.1. My problems are two
fold, and may or may not be related.

1) I cannot, from either the gateway or any of the internal machines,
get DNS query responses from 192.168.0.1. I can get query responses
from 127.0.0.1 and the external IP address from the gateway, and I can
get query responses from the external IP from any of the internal
machines (well, partially. See below).

2) When I do set up my FBSD 5.3 box inside the network with the
external IP of the gateway in resolv.conf, I can ping and nslookup DNS
names just fine. However, when I go to use Mozilla (Or any browser for
that matter), they hang on "Resolving host:". nslookup tells me it is
using my gateway as the DNS server, and never tells me it's switching
to another server for queries.

Any ideas?