signal 11 in 5.3-STABLE install in multidisk, dual-boot

Mathew Pauhl m_pauhl at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 9 13:12:29 PST 2004

Hi folks,

I'm trying to install 5.3-RELEASE (miniinst.iso),
removing Debian linux, alongside a M$2k partition.
Essentially all I do is boot to the CD and once I
attempt to do (any) type of install, as soon as I try
and change my slice layout (as soon as I hit the arrow
key actually), I get a '...caught a signal 11,
rebooting..saving what I can ...' message.

I've installed 5.2 before (a few monthes back), and
never had this problem.

I researched and found some people who were having
similar problems in 2003, forget the version..they
suggested it was a hardware problem, but there was no
resolution/answer given in the discussion thread.

I have a Dell PIII (866MHz) w/ 256 RAM, 2 CD
drives....

Any thoughts/theories?
TIA

Mat