/usr/src/Updating

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Nov 9 03:29:41 PST 2004

On 2004-11-09 21:41, Ian Moore <imoore at picknowl.com.au> wrote:

> I've cvsuped the doc collection. There are no instructions in the
> handbook for building doc - does it get built along with the rest of
> the source when I do my make buildworld, or do I need to build it
> seperately (I assume it's the stuff in /usr/src/share/doc ?)

No.  The build process of the docs requires many tools from the ports
(jade, TeX, docbook DTDs, etc.).  These are not useful to the vast
majority of the FreeBSD users, and they are not installed by default.

The easier way to update the docs in /usr/share/doc is to download
prebuilt versions of the documentation from an FTP mirror, i.e.:

	ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/