FreeBSD + MySQL or PostgreSQL

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Mon Nov 8 22:46:02 PST 2004

James Pole wrote:

> On 9/11/2004, at 3:13 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>
>> Which one, MySQL or PostgreSQL,  is most compatible, stable, etc.
>> with FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x
>>
>> P.S. I'm NOT looking for opinions on which is better a product.
>

> Both work perfectly fine with FreeBSD, although I find MySQL easier to
> set up and maintain under FreeBSD. There are also more documentation
> available on the web for MySQL+FreeBSD. However it is possible to run
> PostgreSQL on FreeBSD without any problems at all, especially if you
> have experience using PostgreSQL on other platforms (eg Linux) as the
> set-up and maintenance process should be similar on both sides of the
> fence.
>
> Are there any specific requirements you need in an SQL database server?

Yes, whatever works best on FreeBSD! :-)  I seem to remember that MySQL
had issues with FreeBSD something about pthreads or whatnot. I also seem
to remember hearing that Postgre is built and maintained on *BSD
systems, This would lead me to belive that Postgre is the better choice
for a "production" FreeBSD server?

Currently I'm using MySQL on a production FreeBSD 5.2.1 box. It had some
problems at first with table locking and corruption but it's seems to be
running fine now, I'm scared to work on it for fear of MySQL freaking
out though. the only thing I run on it is kronolith/horde (groupware)
and a wiki so it's never seen a heavy load. also it uses up alot of pids,