FreeBSD + MySQL or PostgreSQL

James Pole james at pole.net.nz
Mon Nov 8 20:16:21 PST 2004

On 9/11/2004, at 3:13 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> Which one, MySQL or PostgreSQL,  is most compatible, stable, etc. with
> FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x
>
> P.S. I'm NOT looking for opinions on which is better a product.

Both work perfectly fine with FreeBSD, although I find MySQL easier to
set up and maintain under FreeBSD. There are also more documentation
available on the web for MySQL+FreeBSD. However it is possible to run
PostgreSQL on FreeBSD without any problems at all, especially if you
have experience using PostgreSQL on other platforms (eg Linux) as the
set-up and maintenance process should be similar on both sides of the
fence.

Are there any specific requirements you need in an SQL database server?

Regards,
James