Recommended Video Card with OpenGL Acceleration?

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 16:50:01 PST 2004

I've started down the path of OpenGL hackery, and am looking for
recommendations on good video cards support by X.org that have
hardware accelerated OpenGL. I'll be running this on 5.3-stable. Thus
far searches have indicated that ATI is to be avoided, NVIDIA is
decent, and "All cards supported by the DRI open source drivers work
fine in FreeBSD." I would hope that if a card is said to "work fine"
actually does do hardware OpenGL. (I have a laptop with a savage
twister [0x8d01] that works fine with X, albeit very slowly. It'd be
nice to have that usable.).

If people would care to bounce me a dmesg or hardware description,
X/Mesa/etc. versions and some glxgears framerates (csdemo framerates
would be even better), that'd be much appreciated. I'd prefer to not
have a completely frankensteined system, but if I need to be running
some package straight out of CVS, then so be it.

To forestall the ever-popular cries of STFA, I've already done some digging:
http://www.google.com/search?q=FreeBSD+OpenGL+acceleration
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=OpenGL&max=250&sort=score&index=recent&source=freebsd-newbies&source=freebsd-questions&source=freebsd-x11
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-questions&w=2&r=1&s=OpenGL&q=b
http://dri.sourceforge.net/