Upgrading 5.3-Beta1 to 5.3-RELEASE

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Mon Nov 8 16:49:44 PST 2004

Just want to be sure that I do the right thing.

So, my version at present is 5.3-BETA1 and I want to install 5.3.
I supposed I could just install 5.3 over my current version, but
wouldn't an upgrade work just as well?

Finally, want to make sure I have the procedure right:

      go to: /usr/local/etc/cvsup
      issue the following command: /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2
stable-supfile
      once finished, then go to: /usr/src
      enter the commands:

make buildworld KERNCONF=yourkernelname (for name, look to config file
found in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/)
  make buildkernel KERNCONF=yourkernelname (look to / )
  make installkernel KERNCONF=yourkernelname
  reboot

      You should boot in single user mode (using boot -s from loader
prompt for example). Then continue with:

mergemaster -p
  go to /usr/src and type: make installworld
  mergemaster
  update /dev (for 4.x only)
  reboot