FBSD 2.5.1-p11 | Promise SATA150 TX2plus | Seagate B 200GB - BAD SUPERBLK / Machine freezes up etc

Sebastian Holmqvist sebastian.holmqvist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 12:05:34 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:25:18 -0500, Louis LeBlanc <freebsd at keyslapper.org> wrote:
> On 11/08/04 08:04 PM, Sebastian Holmqvist sat at the `puter and typed:
>

> > "I've been getting WRITE_DMA timeouts in /var/log/messages though,
> > typically 1 to 3 of them before the lockup.  Have you noticed any of
> > these?"
> > Nope, nothing of that kind.
> > Can't check for earlier times since I've reinstalled since then. But
> > the error tonight didn't report anything.
> >
> > Please get back to me if you manage to survive any large data-transfers :)
> > In that case; "5.3 HERE I COME" :p
>
> Will do.  I've been eagerly awaiting 5.3 to deal with this exact problem.
>
> Typically, building OpenOffice.org will tell one way or another, and it
> should be going on now - unless it's already locked up.  I'll find out
> when I get home this evening and let you know.
>
> If it doesn't lock up, I'll try building a couple large packages
> simultaneously (like Mozilla and jdk1.4).  That will be the absolute
> indicator.
>
> If it does lock up, I'll be reinstalling some time this week with the
> fdisk geometry forced to that recommended by WD, and running back
> through the disk loads described above.
>
> Lou
> --
> Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
> Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
> http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬
>
> This isn't true in practice -- what we've missed out is Stradivarius's
> constant.  And then the aside: "For those of you who don't know, that's
> been called by others the fiddle factor..."
>     -- From a 1B Electrical Engineering lecture.

"Will do.  I've been eagerly awaiting 5.3 to deal with this exact problem."
You too? :) That's why I haven't touched FreeBSD for so long, I had
this fix idea it was 5.2.1 that screwed me over.

Don't have my discs as system, so building and that kind of stuff
isn't touched, luckily.

Since you don't have it when you're transferring files, it probably
has to do with FBSD's compability with SATA controller cards.
I'm doing 'make buildworld' now so that I can easily switch over to
5.3 later on.

--

Sebastian Holmqvist