dhcpd (reprise)

Gary Kline kline at sage.thought.org
Mon Nov 8 11:04:57 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 09:29:47AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline at magnesium.net> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 08:56:58PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> >

> > No subnet declaration for dc0 (216.231.43.140).
> > ** Ignoring requests on dc0.  If this is not what
> >    you want, please write a subnet declaration
> >    in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
> >    to which interface dc0 is attached. **
> >
> > Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
> >
> > 	I've seen this before.  What does the last line mean?
> > 	Or, how do I test this?  I've just tried ssh'ing
> > 	around.  Nothing to the screen.
>

> This is telling you that the machine doesn't know how to assign
> addresses for DHCP requests that come in on the dc0 interface.  If
> that's correct (i.e., you want it to assign addresses on some other
> interface but not that one), then everything's fine so far.  If it's
> not, then you need to modify your dhcpd.conf as it said.

	I've got two NICs on my primary.  dc0 goes to my router;
	dc1 goes to my hub.  All are running unix.  So far, I
	have rebooted only my laptop.  I can immediately ssh from
	my latop *into* my primary (DNS) server, but when I try to
	ping anywhere from my laptop, nothing--it times out.
	So my dhcpd isn't handing out leases.

	In /etc/rc.conf I've got:

	dhcpd_flags="-q"                                # command option(s)
	dhcpd_conf=/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf    # configuration file
	dhcpd_ifaces="dc1"              # ethernet interface(s)
	dhcpd_withumask="022"                   # file creation mask

	So far, the dhcpd_ifaces doesn't seem to be working,
	although I *do* see it when I do a grep on
	'sh -x on /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd.sh::

	+ network_interfaces=dc0 dc1 lo0
	+ ifconfig_dc1=inet 10.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
	+ dhcpd_ifaces=dc1

	So the script at least is reading /etc/rc.conf.  Why dhcpd
	isn't seeing this is unknown.

	Here is part of my dhcpd.conf:

option dhcp-server-identifier 10.0.0.1;
option domain-name "thought.org";
option domain-name-servers 216.231.41.2, 66.93.87.2;
option routers 10.0.0.1;
option subnet-mask 255.0.0.0;
server-name "sage";
server-identifier 10.0.0.1;

> If everything is okay on that front, then you need to get some of the
> other machines (the ones to which this server should be assigning
> addresses) to ask for leases.  How to do this depends on what OS they
> are running, but rebooting should do it in any case.

	So far, rebooting ns1.thought.org (== sage) and my laptop
	don't change anything.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix