FBSD 2.5.1-p11 | Promise SATA150 TX2plus | Seagate B 200GB - BAD SUPERBLK / Machine freezes up etc

Sebastian Holmqvist sebastian.holmqvist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 09:57:48 PST 2004

Hi, I'm running a FBSD 5.2.1-p11 server on a 350 PII.
1 IDE is plugged in on the motherboard. The other two Seagate
Barracuda 200 GB SATA discs are plugged in on the controllercard.

I get bad geometry in sysinstall (which is apparently a bug as far as
I know from searching old mail-lists).  Fdisk states that 387621/16/63
is wrong. Inside is changes to 24321/255/63.
ST3200822AS is the product name for the hard-drive.
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,599,00.html
is the datasheet.

My problem is when I transfer large amounts of data to any of the discs.
WIthout warning, the whole system absolutely freeze up and I have to
manually reboot.
When I then run fsck it reports on several problems, among them a
SUPERBLK ERROR. I take it that's not good :p
The disc has to be formatted and we go again.

The first time it happened, I acquired a fan since they seemed a tad
hot.. They were pushing 60°C. They are now around 35°C idle. High load
is probably putting them around 45°C I believe.

These are the theories I've come up with:
1) Both my discs are bad (brand new when I bought them)
2) The setup with the controller card and the motherboard doesn't work
3) FBSD can't handle the data-transfer very well after a while. Could
it be that the data goes to the IDE and then to the SATA-discs?

Thanks in advance, I really don't know how to handle this. Or, well
I'm gonna try updating to 5.3 in a couple of days, since they have
better SATA-handling I've been told.