difference between releases

TM4526 at aol.com TM4526 at aol.com
Mon Nov 8 08:47:19 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/8/04 10:49:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
keramida at ceid.upatras.gr writes:
>> How discouraging for you not to understand that.
>
> Its "discouraging", because a "Release" should be " a completed set of
> features that have been tested and thought to be bug-free"

>You know that this isn't exactly true.  I have yet to see one "release" of
any
>product that does not have bugs.  I probably never will.

I think the "thought to be bug-free" covers that, but I know that english is
difficult language.

The problem with "getting over it" is that people "think" that a release is
thought
to be well-tested, but its apparently no different from any other beta
release.

I think its rather important. When you get a release, you don't expect that
some unknown set of features is still in some sort of Beta stage. The purpose
of a release is to get what you're doing done, and then start on new stuff
based
on the "release", which should be a known, completed code base.

All part of the experience  I suppose.