Restarting vino remotely

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Mon Nov 8 08:44:31 PST 2004

--- Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> That means your ssh(1) session isn't doing X11 forwarding.  ssh has he
> capability to pose as an X server, usually on localhost:10.0 and
> transparently forwards all X session traffic over an encrypted tunnel
> back to your desktop display, but only if you enable it.

Hmm, well actually it IS enabled in the client I'm using but I'm not
understanding why I'd need it. I'm using PuTTY, and under the session config
in Connection -> SSH -> Tunnels the option for "Enable X11 forwarding" is
checked with the "X display location" set to "localhost:0". However, this is
leftover from my days of experimenting with Cygwin (which I did have working
but decided was too much of a pain). What I do these days is forward port
5900 over SSH for the sake of VNC and so the X11 forwarding isn't necessary.

> Secondly, you're telling X windows to display on the screen of
> the remote machine, which won't be a whole lot of use to you.

Well my goal here is to restart vino-session, which is command-line and
simply needs to spawn into the background, so I don't need to see it. And it
seems to ONLY run from the screen of the host system, so (on the contrary)
getting vino-session to run on its screen seems to be precisely what I'd
want. I feel like I'm misunderstanding something fundamental here, or else
I'm not communicating my situation very well.

> Instead, read about the '-X' and '-Y' options in ssh(1) and the
> equivalent 'ForwardX11' directive in ssh_config(5).

Well I'm not using FreeBSD's ssh as I mentioned, I looked at -X though and
saw it was just for the X11 forwarding that I already said I've got enabled
in the SSH client I AM using (PuTTY) and I see no mention of -Y in the ssh
man page to see what the equivalent PuTTY option might be.