Post freebsd-update question

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Nov 8 06:23:30 PST 2004

Ned Harrison <nharrison at cox.net> writes:

> I am newbie running FreeBSD 5.2.1 with a custom kernel.  Not any major
> modifications, I just commented out a few devices which I do not have
> and copied over a few items from the Notes file.  I just ran
> freebsd-update to pick up security patches.  It fetched and installed
> without any problems.  However, freebsd-update let me know that it did
> not update the kernel because it had been modified locally.
>
> What do I need to do now to update the kernel?  Do I need to use csvup
> to update the GENERIC  and NOTES files, then recompile and reinstall?

That wouldn't be enough.  You need the updated sources as well to have
the appropriately updated kernel.

As far as I can see, freebsd-update only provides kernel updates for
the generic kernel.  To have it update your kernel, you would need to
stick to a generic kernel.  To update the kernel yourself, you would
need to download at least the kernel sources separately (I believe
that's the "sys" collection, but I haven't checked).