dhcp problems (i think)

cape canaveral somniosus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 06:20:52 PST 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 11:34:07 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at magnesium.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 01:13:04AM -0800, cape canaveral wrote:

>         [[ ... ]]
>

> > >         dc0 goes to my IDSL router; dc1 goes to the hub/switch.
> > >         These look okay.  Am I missing something?
> > >
> > >         gary
> > >
> > >         PS: FWIW, I was also messing with things-firewall
> > >             Thursday evening.  Everything-firewall is now set="NO".
> > >

> > For the machine that can't connect to anything, can it
> > ping/ssh/whatever to services on your LAN by IP address?  If so, can
> > it ping/ssh/whatever to services on the Internet?  Need to narrow it
> > down to either DNS or network config.
>
>         I can ssh *into* sage/ns1 from any of my 10/8 servers immediately.
>         However, on sage trying "% ssh tao" takes two minutes.
>         Something times-out.  Also, on sage.thought.org, I can ping
>         anywhere.  On my internal servers, no; nothing reaches the
>         outside world.
>

> > The problem still sounds like DNS to me.  Either bad resolver IP(s)
> > provided by the DHCP server or bad tcp/ip configuraiton preventing the
> > machine from getting to a working DNS server.  Check /etc/resolv.conf
> > on the broken machine and verify that it contains working recursive
> > DNS servers (ie, with dig).
> >

>         Hm, strange: dig ns1.thought.org worked yesterday.  Now, none
>         of my secondaries respond.  According to my logs, something
>         happened just before 01:00today.  My secondaries are at
>         telstra.net and secondary.com.  I use dnsreport.com to tell
>         me if things are right.   They see what dig does... .
>
>         Same with dig and the IP's in my resolv.conf.  dig is wedged.
>         I've only rebooted past hour, tho. ....
>
>         gary
>
> --
>

> Gary Kline  Seattle BSD Users' Group (seabug)      | kline at magnesium.net
>             Thought Unlimited Org's Alternate Email Site
>             http://www.magnesium.net/~kline
>    To live is not a necessity; but to live honorably...is a necessity. -Kant

Do the PCs with broken Internet have IPs?  It sounds like either the
DHCP server is not handing out leases or, if it is, it has stopped
routing to the Internet for your client machines.  I'm not sure what
service that is (ipnat??) as I've never used FreeBSD for that purpose.
 Maybe it needs to be tweaked, or maybe try setting the IP of one of
the client machines static and see if it suddenly starts working
agian.

-Aaron