Vinum 1TB filesystem limit questions

matt virus mattvirus at navix.net
Sun Nov 7 23:01:32 PST 2004

Hi All -

with some help from people on this list, i managed to get vinum and
raid5 all figured out!

I had 4 * 160gb raid5 array running perfectly.  When i ventured home
this past weekend, i found another ATA controller and figured I'd change
my raid5 array to have 8 drives.

I cleaned the drives, reformatted and labeled to have a nice clean
start, rewrote my config file and I get this:

------------------------------
2day# newfs -U -O2 /dev/vinum/raid5
/dev/vinum/raid5: 1094291.2MB (2241108324 sectors) block size 16384,
fragment size 2048
         using 5955 cylinder groups of 183.77MB, 11761 blks, 23552 inodes.
         with soft updates

newfs: can't read old UFS1 superblock: read error from block device:
Invalid argument
-------------------------------

After some reading, found out this is a pesky problem a lot of people
are having.  Is there a solution for FBSD 5.2.1 running vinum or do I
need to upgrade to 5.3 or some other release using geom-vinum?  Does
anybody know (for sure) if geom-vinum works with 1TB< filesystems?

WORST case - i'll remove a drive and bump it down to under 1TB, but it
seems like a waste.

-matt

--
Matt Virus ("veer-iss")