kernel panic in 5.3 whene compiling custom kernel.

esmaeel pashapouri epashapouri at rogers.com
Sun Nov 7 19:25:10 PST 2004

Hello list. Thanks for your time.
My apology if the format of my mail is not correct, I
am using a webmail program.
My hardware is an amd64 2.2 Gh proc. with 1Gb ddr mem
and 160 Gb ide hard drive and nvidia geforce FX5200XT
AGP with 128Mb ddr.
I have downloaded 5.3 RELEASE and burn it on cd and
did a clean install with out the x window on the 2nd
slice as window xp sits on the 1st slice.
Every things did install after few tries. Then I tried
to make a custom kernel to get the unwanted devices
out the way. everything up to the make part goes fine
the traditional way but some way through the make part
I get the kernel panic and the machine swithes back to
sc0 with the following error massage..

 Fatal trap 27: stack fault while in kernel mode

instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xffffffff803b6e12
stack pointer         = 0x10:0xffffffff9791d420
fram pointer          = 0x10:0xffff0024c1b958
code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type
0x1b
                      = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32
0,gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume,
IOPL = 0
current process       = 4151 (cc1)
trap number           = 27
Panic : stack fault
Uptime : 3m 29s

here I have to cold boot to get in again.
I got the same error massage whene I tried to install
lynx from the port collection, but secound try went
trough and installed the lynx on the system.
If anyone can point me in  any direction to solve this
problem I'll be very gratefull.

thanks again for spending your time and reading this
mail

esmaeel