Top question

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Nov 7 17:28:30 PST 2004

On 2004-11-07 18:53, Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org> wrote:
> The top manpage does not explain what the C field in top's output is
> for.  I assume it shows which CPU a process is running on...would be
> nice to know for sure what it is though.
>
>  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND

Your guess is right.  The C column is only enabled on SMP machines, and it
displays the last cpu this process has run on.  This field is only shown by
top(1) AFAICT and not by ps(1), so we should probably do two things:

a. Update the top(1) manpage -- adding a description of what C displays

b. Add a similar column to ps(1), so that top & ps output are as similar as
possible.

I'll see if I can update both during the following days :-)